With the slew of varied levels in each of the two engineering classes, you'd think that there would be a ton of problems. However, it's the most intense 51 minutes of each kid's day. In this class, we are going full steam ahead (pun intended, I guess). Choo Choo.
Details of the class
Every now and then, we have a little fun:
- Create a website
- Design a tower to withstand an earthquake and 25 MPH winds
- Create a scale model of the Twin Towers as a tribute to 9/11
- Program Lego Mindstorm NXT Robotics
- Build and program robots for "BattleBots"
- Design and build wind turbines as part of the KidWind Challenge
- Upcoming car design and building
Basically, we do everything that is fun in the world. According to captain Bloom, this is the upper echelon of his taxonomy.
The Real Fist-Pump
It's exciting to watch a kid who is notorious on campus for being "off-task", only to find out that he's been bored out of his mind until you put a challenge of designing the perfect wind turbine blade in front of him. All of a sudden, he's using math to find the pitch, language to express his requests for materials, history to research best practices of former turbine designs, and science to discuss the application of force for each design of turbine blade. Yes, sir, all subjects are being incorporated into this measly project.
That, to me, is a win.