OK, so sharing is about the failures as well. I'm going back through the whole process, trying to realize why this could happen. For one, and the more obvious reason, is that the bottom layers must have been spaced further apart than they're supposed to. To fix that, I turned the Z-knob to bring the bed closer to the extruder, hoping that would squish the filament down better, thus creating a better and tighter bond. The second option I see is that there was some "curling", which means that the material isn't sticking to the bed. To fix that, I added more glue... Not sure if that's going to help.
UPDATE: After bringing the bed a little bit closer and re-printing the based, we tested it. Yes, this is now a team effort with mama Stevens. All is good, no leaks, so we're printing again.
All in all, it's still pretty rad how this whole thing works. I will figure it out, no matter how long it takes.
Finally, my dad was out this weekend and was in awe of this cool machine, do it's only fitting to make him something of his own. Happy early Father's Day, dad.