Create a charging station for a smartphone that does something else that is really really cool.
Maybe I would massage the wording on that one so that it passes the administrative eye test, but that was the overall idea. This started because I was looking at charging stations for my iPhone and they were (for the most part) über office-y, sleek and modern, and didn't really appeal to what I was trying to do. I wanted something simple, that could boost the audio a little, and treat my phone like the awesome piece of metals and glass that it is. So, what the hey, might as well design one myself and print it!
- A good angle (set at 132 degrees) for viewing and resting the phone
- Dimensions are accurately set for the width, height, and depth of an iPhone 5 or 5c
- The height of the base is good enough to allow for the charger to fit and have a slight bend without damaging it
- The armrests are high enough to lock it in place without inhibiting the phone
- The back extends out to keep the weight distribution even so that I don't knock it over every time I try to get the phone out
Not everything is royal. No, no, no. There are a couple things that I would change if and when I decide to print another. First, I would make the back print while standing up instead of laying down. The notches that are designed to fit into the groove are completely horizontal, making it impossible to print as such. Because of that, the plastic got a little sloppy as it went out onto the ledge. Next, I would edit the acoustic enhancement (the bowl) once I figure out how to cut out a semi-sphere. I suppose a bit of research would help in that regard.
With that being said, I see this as a fantastic project for students to work on. I was doing all sorts of measurement, some estimation, and a ton of math in order to ensure that I could have a one-off that worked well and I would be proud of. With a few minor tweaks, this bad boy is destined to be reproduced for family birthday and Christmas gifts!
At the same time, there is similarity in certain aspects of the measurements. All iPhone stations should accommodate the width, height, and depth of the phone, as well as the charger and room to allow it to bend without breaking. Beyond that, it's up to the students and their level of creativity!
Happy iThrone Fishing